DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (Ph.D.) PROGRAMME
The School of Law, KIIT offers Ph. D Degree.
The Doctoral Programme aims to pursue research on contemporary problems in various streams of law that requires critical and out of box thinking. The programme awards Ph.D. in Law from the KIIT . Since 2010 the institute has been enrolling scholars for their doctoral research in law. Participants undergo a rigorous selection process including multi-disciplinary interviews before being selected for the programme. At present about twenty Ph.D Scholars are registered with KSOL and carrying out research in the areas like Criminology, Medical negligence, Intellectual Property Securitization, Family Law, Criminal Law, and Company Law.
An applicant seeking admission to Ph.D. programme must have:
A post-graduation degree with good academic record from any recognized university having scored a minimum of 55%
M.Phil in Law from a recognized university
Master’s degree in any social science or allied discipline relevant to the field of research with minimum of 55% marks.
- Should have an aptitude for research.
- The candidates seeking admission to Ph.D program should possess the minimum qualification and fulfill the conditions as required under University Rules.
- Selection of Research scholars will be based on performance in entrance test, academic background and interview.
- Candidates who have qualified in National level examination are however,exempted from appearing in the entrance test.
- The candidates who have qualified and admitted to Masters Degree through National Level examination are also exempted from the entrance test.
- Candidates having long years of professional experience and exhibiting research aptitude may also be admitted to the programme by relaxing any of the above criteria.
The Research Committee shall appoint one or more persons holding an appointment with the University to supervise programme of study of a candidate admitted to the Ph.D. programme. When the programme of study so requires, an external supervisor possessing expertise and experience in the area of study may be appointed, in addition to at least one internal supervisor who shall be a full time staff member.
The University admits Ph.D. students under the following categories
- Regular Scholars
Those who shall receive regular assistantships from the University or other recognized/approved sources viz. University Grant Commission.
- Self-Supporting Scholars
The Scholars who undertake research either fulltime or part-time without receiving assistantship
- Sponsored Scholars
The Scholars sponsored by Government or other reputed organisations. A sponsorship and a “no-objection certificate ” from the organisation/employer to be produced by the candidate.
- Faculty Scholars
The Faculty members of any School/ Department from KIIT
Teaching assistantship is provided by the University to the deserving and meritorious candidates pursuing Ph.D.. A student provided fellowship/ assistantship by the University is required to render assistance to the Faculty members in teaching and research activities.