Nirmal Kanti Chakrabarti
Prof Chakrabarti currently working as Director, School of Law, KIIT Deemed to be University obtained his PhD in "Probation in the administration of Criminal Justice in West Bengal: A Critical Appraisal of the system." Prof Chakrabarti with a teaching experience of 32 years ,also worked as a Professor in Calcutta University, as an adjunct Professor in IIT , khragpur. He has 25 years of research experience and successfully guided 21 PhD scholars. Prof Chakrabarti worked as Joint Co-coordinator, Calcutta Task Force on Govt. of India sponsored Project Reformulation of Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act during 1992-93.with National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore. He has worked as Principal Investigator in UGC-UPE Major Research Project on “Use of Forensic Science in the Administration of Justice in India: A Futuristic Study” in the University of Calcutta from September 2007 to March 2013He has worked as Project Director in ICSSR project on “People’s Perception of Police-Public Relations in the District Capitals of the North Eastern States of India: A Study in Perspective of Community Policing” during 2013-2015. Prof Chkrabarti has 9 books, 3 book reviews and 83 research publication to his credit. Prof Chakrabarti is a member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Legislative Drafting and Law Reforms, London.(ISSN 2025-5183) , member of Advisory Board, Indian Human Rights Law Review(ISSN .2230-7036). Prof Chakrabarti has Participated in Global Law Deans Forum on “Developing Approaches and Standa rds rd for a Global Legal Education” hosted by I E University, Madrid , Spain during 25th -26th October,2015 , and Annual Meeting of International association of Law Schools at Segovia , Spain, during 27th – 29th October,2015. Prof Chakrabarti also went for Research Visit at Max Planck Institute of Foreign and International Criminal Law at Freiburg, Germany in 2017 & 2018. He aalso Delivered a Lecture in the 16th Asian Certificate Course on Victimology, Victim Justice and Victim Assistance at City University, Hong Cong on 5th June 2018. (Indian Society of Victimology in its 10th Biannial Conferrence held at Nirma University, Ahmedabad on 23rd February 2017, conferred Professor K. Chockalingam Award 2017 to Prof Chakrabarti for his contribution in the field of Victimology. Prof Chakrabarti also was awarded Research Fellowship two consecutive years 2017 (June) & 2018 by Max Planck Society, Germany to do a research project on “Universalization of Criminal Jurisdiction in Domestic Legislations” at Max Planck Institute of Foreign and International Criminal Law, Freiburg, Germany, June 13th to 12th July 2018
Criminal Justice/Penology and Victimology
1. Principles of Legislation and Legislative Drafting, Published by R. Cambray & Co Pvt. Ltd., Calcutta, First Edition, January 1994. Pp.xxii +400. Second Edition in 2002 by the same Publisher, pp. xxxiv +605 and First Reprint 2007 & Second Reprint in 2010; Third Edition 2014, pp.xxxviii + 633.
2. Environmental Protection and the Law, published by Ashish Publishing House, New Delhi,1994,pp.xix+652.
3. Probation System in the Administration of Criminal Justice, published by Deep and Deep Publications, New Delhi, 1995,pp.xxi+297.
4. Administration of Criminal Justice: The Correctional Services, (Ed.) published by Deep and Deep Publications, New Delhi, 1997 in Five Volumes Foreword by Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer, pp.xxiv +1200.
5. Law And Child (Ed.) Published under Calcutta University LL.B. (Hons.) Curriculum Development Programme by R. Cambray & Co. Pvt. Ltd., Kolkata,First Edition 2004, pp xxiii + 472. Second Edition 2011,pp.xxxi + 648.
6. Gender Justice(Ed.), published under Calcutta University LL.B. (Hons.) Curriculum Development Programme by R. Cambray & Co. Pvt. Ltd., Kolkata, First Edition March 2006, pp.xxx +558. First Reprint 2009.
7. Legal Language, published by Samudbhav, Department of Law, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, First Edition, 2008 .pp,xxi + 241
8. R. Dev’sPrinciples of Criminology,Criminal Law & Investigation edited by N.K. Chakrabarti and Dipa Dube ,published by S.C.Sarkar & Sons,Kolkata, 4th Edition ,2018, pp.54+542.
1. Development, Displacement and Marginalisation, Edited by Ranjana Roy, published by Asiatic Society,Kolkata, January,2011; Title of the paper- “Marginalization of Children: A Study of Trafficking in India”, pp.113-125.
2. Nariprithibee: Bahuswar (Bengali)Essays on Women’s Issues, Edited by Basabi Chakraborti, published by Urbee Prakashan, Kolkata, November. 2011. Title of the article-“Women’s Rights under Indian Law”; pp.252-269.
3. Law and Gender: A Quest for Justice, Edited by Dr. Rathin Bandyopadhyay & Dr. Rajendra Dhar Dubey, published by Alfa Publications, New Delhi, 2012; Title of the article- “Victimization of Women and Girls and Development of Information Technology: A Critique of Law and Reality in Perspective of Cyber Pornography”, pp.1-10.
1). A research paper published in the International Journal of offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, New York, U.S.A., Vol.36 (2), Summer 1992. Title of the Paper-“Is Rehabilitation Essential In Probation Service in West Bengal? ” Pp .121-128.
2. A research paper published in the Journal of Biological and Clinical Antropology, Stuttgart, Germany, October 2011 Vol. 69/1 pp.117-125. Title of the paper”Variations of Scalp, Pubic and Axillary hair”, jointly with Prof. A. Bandyopadhyaya of Dept. of Anthropology, University of Calcutta.
3. An article published in International Journal of Legislative Drafting and Law Reform, London, Vol.I, Issue-2, February 2013,pp.207-218. Title of the paper; “ Legislative Drafting and Law Reform: The Role of Indian Judiciary” Comparative Study of Laws among U.S.,U.K.,Japan and India”.pp.9-31.
4. KIIT Journal of Law And Society, 2014 Vol.4, I, ISSN.2231-5144 published by School of Law,KIIT University,Bhubaneswar with Dr. Arpita Mitra.Title : “Police-Public relationship in Kohima, Nagaland: An Exploration By the Populace in the Light of Community Policing”; pp.51-70. Calcutta Law Times, Vol.12015, January Part-I, ,(ISSN No. 0971-748X) Journal section, published by R. Cambray & Co.Kolkata , with .Kasturi Bhagat; Title- Interface Between Private International Law And Matrimonial Conflicts”; pp.1-13.
5. Indian Bar Review, Vol. XLII (1). January-March,2015, published by Bar Council of India Trust, New Delhi, with Dr. Arpita Mitra. Title of the Article-“ Community Policing in Question: A Mesmeric Philosophy or Derisory Programmes?”; pp.85-97.
6. KIIT Journal of Law And Society, 2015 Vol.5, I, ISSN.2231-5144 published by School of Law,KIIT University,Bhubaneswar with Dr. Arpita Mitra.Title : "People's Perception of Police-Public Relations in the District Capitals of the North Eastern States of India: A Study in Perspective of Community Policing”,pp.43-61.
7. KIIT Journal of Law And Society,2015 Vol.V, I, ISSN.2231-5144 published by School of Law,KIIT University,Bhubaneswar with Atrayee Banerjee & Arup Ratan Bandyopadhyay. Title: “Occupational Pattern and Forest Based Livelihoods of Santals of Purulia, West Bengal,India”, pp.108-126.
8 Calcutta Law Times, Vol.4, Part-II, November, 2015,(ISSN-0971-748X) published by R.Cambray & Co.,Kolkata with Ms. Samraggi Chakraborty. Title of the Article-“Restorative Justice and Victim Rights”;pp.30-36.
9. Delhi Law Review, Vol.34:2015(ISSN 097-4936) published by Faculty of Law, University of Delhi, Delhi. Title-“Probation in the Administration of Criminal Justice in India: An Overview of the Probation of Offenders Act,1958”; pp.76-86.
10. Nirma University Law Journal, (NULJ)ISSN. Vol.V,Issue-II,January,2016, with Dr. Arpita Mitra, Title- Police-Public Liaison in Community Policing Endeavours: An Evaluation by People of Guwahati”,pp.41-67.
11. KIIT Journal of Law And Society,2016 Vol.V, I, ISSN.2231-5144 published by School of Law,KIIT University,Bhubaneswar with Mr. Souvik Roy. Title: “An Attempt at Criminal Attempts: Tests of Historical Analysis”. Pp.73-81.
12. KIIT Journal of Law And Society, 2016 Vol.V, I, ISSN.2231-5144 published by School of Law,KIIT University,Bhubaneswar with Mr. Supriya Basu. Title: “ Transplantation of Human Organ and Tissues Act,1994: A Case Comment”, pp.166171.
13. Calcutta Law Times, Vol.4, Part-II, July-August, 2016,(ISSN-0971-748X) published by R.Cambray & Co.,Kolkata with Mr. Supriya Basu. Title of the paper_ The Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act,1994: A Critique”, pp.14-21.